GUIDED OUTENIQUA HIKING TRAIL – GARDEN ROUTE MOUNTAINS AND FOREST
This multiday backpacking trail starting near George in the Outeniqua mountains and ending in Harkerville Forest near Plettenberg Bay is a challenging hike exploring the fragile yet enduring natural heritage of the unique Cape Coastal region. The Outeniqua trail is a marvelous journey through ancient indigenous forests that grace the feet of the magnificent Outeniqua mountains. Outeniqua is a khoi word meaning bearer of Honey, a tribute to the natural abundance that the magical forests can provide. The hike is a surrender as the outside world seldom interferes with your enjoyment of nature on this trail.
Enter a world of gurgling streams, deep pools, forests and ferns, mountain views and fynbos islands. Forest creatures are shy but plentiful and include Grey Rhebok, Forest buzzards, the brilliantly coloured Knysna Turaco (Lourie) and Narina Trogon, chatty chorister Robins, elusive leopards and graceful bushbuck, with luck, they’ll make an appearance along your hike.
The full Outeniqua trail is a demanding 108km in length and takes 7 days. It is possible to do shorter sections of the trail. Accommodation is in basic hiker huts, some restored farm houses or historical buildings, others purpose built. Most have no electricity and provide only bunk beds and mattresses and water. Email us for details.
Have a look at our Knysna Forest and Coastal Hiking Combination, the last 2 days of the Outeniqua Trail are combine with the Harkerville trail to give you a dramatic exploration of the Garden Route
SO THAT YOU CAN RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR HIKE, GOTREKKING AFRICA GUIDES:
- Arrange all Park Fees and Permits
- Provide, tasty, nutritious meals, dietary requirements eg vegetarians are catered for.
- Are trained in rescue
- Carry First Aid
- Are knowledgeable about the wildlife, birds, geology & flora of the Garden route
- Transfers to Trail head from trail end
OPTIONAL EXTRAS INCLUDE:
- It is possible to extend the trail for a further 2 nights and do the Harkerville Trail
- Transfers to/ from accommodation in the area from trail head or trail end
- Airport transfers, closest Airports are George then Port Elizabeth
- Accommodation reservations
- Equipment hire