GUIDED SWARTBERG HIKING TRAIL – A MOUNTAIN TREK IN THE WESTERN CAPE
In the Swartberg Nature Reserve, North of Oudtshoorn, GoTrekking will guide you on the rugged and remote Swartberg hiking trail. The spectacular Swartberg Mountains are typical Cape Fold mountains with amazing convoluted folds of stone creating dramatic mountain sculptures. The silence of the Swartberg (Black mountains) is tremendous, the range has a special feeling of timelessness, it’s a memorable experience hiking through them. The Swartberg average about 2000m above sea level giving rise to extensive views from most of the trail, they are criss-crossed by deep gorges and clear mountain streams.
This area has diverse vegetation ranging from Fynbos, Renosterveldt, succulent Spekboom veldt to Karoo veldt, this means that throughout the year there are thousands of unusual flowers along the walk with associated unique bird and animal life, of course you may well miss spotting rare proteas, it’s difficult to tear your eyes away from the spectacular mountain vistas. Email us for details.
- The full Swartberg Hiking Trail is 5 days each night spent in well appointed huts
- It is possible to do shorter versions of the trail.
- The Swartberg is a mountain range of contrasts, the weather is no exception and can be extreme, really high temperatures in summer (high 30’s C or even 40’s are to be expected with snow and ice in the winter months.
SWARTBERG TRAVERSE – A MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS TREK IN THE WESTERN CAPE
From Seweweeks poort to Towerkop mountain near Ladismith in the Western Cape, this is a dramatic guided trek of magnificent peaks, endless vistas, solitude and serious hiking, suitable only for those who are fit and happy with roughing it! The trek takes 4 days, each night is spent in a mountain cave and we take all provisions with us.We ascend the highest peak in the Western Cape, Seweweeks poort mountain 2325m, it’s a stunning start to the traverse that winds westward along the ridges joining the Klein Swartberg mountains. You’ll have views over the farmlands far below and the little Karoo. Towerkop, an iconic mountain with a deep cleft through it’s peak is where the trail starts it’s descent. This beautiful peak towers over the farming community of Ladismith. At the end of the trip, we take a scenic drive to the gorgeous town of Barrydale to spend the evening soaking up Karoo hospitality and sampling some of the fine fare available from the region.
- Although the intention is to sleep in caves, we carry bivy bags for emergency camps in case of adverse weather .
- This trek is completely off trail and most rewarding if you’re keen on wild places, spectacular scenery and a good hard walk,
SO THAT YOU CAN RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR HIKE, GOTREKKING AFRICA GUIDES:
- Arrange all Park Fees and Permits.
- Set up camp where necessary.
- Provide, tasty, nutritious meals, dietary requirements eg vegetarians are catered for.
- Are trained in rescue.
- Carry First Aid.
- Carry satellite phones if necessary.
- Are knowledgeable about the wildlife, birds, geology & flora of the Swartberg Mountains.
OPTIONAL EXTRAS INCLUDE:
- Transfers to/ from Trail heads in the Swartberg Mountains
- Airport transfers, closest Airports are George then Port Elizabeth
- Accommodation reservations
- Equipment hire