TSITSIKAMMA HIKING TRAIL 6 DAYS FROM NATURES VALLEY TO STORMS RIVER
The Tsitsikamma trail explores beautiful natural forest, dramatic gorges, tree lined lagoon and the spectacular Tsitsikamma mountains on the Garden route. This guided backpacking or slack packing trail is a delight for mountain lovers and forest enthusiasts.
Outeniqua & Real Yellow wood, Stinkwoods and Elders are among the giant trees that create cool tranquil forest sections on the trail. In contrast to the heat and height of the fynbos slopes & expansive views of the Tsitsikamma mountain summits, hiking through the Tsitsikamma forests reveals gurgling cascades, massive waterfalls and scenic forest or fern lined pools for a refreshing swim or welcome ‘boot off’ stop. Tsitsikamma means ‘place of abundant water’, each day you’ll cross tannin stained rivers that gush out of the mountains.
The Tsitisikamma Trail is beautiful and varied and has a remote feel to it as there is seldom anyone else in the vicinity. Accommodation is in huts that have been exceptionally well situated along scenic rivers with deep pools to relax in, on top of cliffs overlooking dramatic gorges, at the fringe of the forest or over looking the mountains.
The trail runs from the Groot River Lagoon at Natures Valley to Storms River, parallel but in the opposite direction to the Otter Trail. It’s a magical trail and rates as one of South Africa’s best. GoTrekking offer this trail as a guided backpacking hike or as a slack packing trail (your gear is transported between huts and you only carry a day bag). The six days of the trail are well worth it, but if your time is limited, you can do shorter sections of between 2 and 5 days. Email us for details.
SO THAT YOU CAN RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR HIKE, GOTREKKING AFRICA GUIDES:
- Arrange all Park Fees and Permits
- Provide, tasty, nutritious meals, dietary requirements eg vegetarians are catered for.
- Are trained in rescue
- Carry First Aid
- Arrange for your bags to be transported from hut to hut each day, you’ll only carry a day pack on the slack packing option for Tsitsikamma
- Are knowledgeable about the wildlife, birds, geology & flora of the Garden route
OPTIONAL EXTRAS INCLUDE:
- Transfers to/ from Natures Valley/ Storms River
- Airport transfers, closest Airports are George then Port Elizabeth
- Accommodation reservations
- Equipment hire